Bulgarian boxer Pulev to donate half money of heavyweight title fight to virus medics
Monday, April 06, 2020, 15:05
Bulgaria’s Kubrat Pulev is seen during a press conference at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff on Sept 11, 2017 during an event to promote his heavyweight world title boxing match against champion Britain’s Anthony Joshua. (GEOFF CADDICK / AFP)
SOFIA – Bulgarian boxer Kubrat Pulev, the IBF’s world heavyweight title challenger, said he will donate half of his money from the fight against Briton Anthony Joshua to help medical workers fight the coronavirus.
Pulev, 38, is expected to earn around five million US dollars from the fight, which has been postponed due to the pandemic.
ALSO READ: Joshua stops Takam in 10th round, retains heavyweight titles
“I will donate 50 percent of the money I earn from the match with Joshua to the tireless heroes in the fight against the coronavirus,” Pulev told German daily Bild on Sunday.
I will donate 50 percent of the money I earn from the match with Joshua to the tireless heroes in the fight against the coronavirus
“I will give doctors, nurses and hospitals the necessary equipment to deal with this devilish virus.”
Pulev had previously challenged for the IBF world heavyweight title in 2014, but lost to Wladimir Klitschko in Hamburg when he was knocked out in the fifth round.
READ MORE: World title would be just the tonic
The 30-year-old Joshua reclaimed the WBA, WBO and IBF belts with a unanimous points win over Andy Ruiz Jr. in December.